Is mould making you ill?
Mould can be a real nuisance in your home, especially in the wetter months.
For some people, it can be much more than a nuisance. Toxins from mould can cause a variety of symptoms, such as fatigue, respiratory issues and brain fog.
While some people suffer, others in the same household may experience no symptoms at all.
The reason some people experience symptoms on exposure to mould could be a condition known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS).
According to Dr Elena Schneider-Futschik from Melbourne University's School of Biomedical Sciences, a gene called HLA is responsible for triggering CIRS.
People with this gene experience an inflammatory response to biotoxins like those found in mould, because their bodies do not recognise and eliminate those toxins.
The systemic inflammation then leads to chronic health issues.
CIRS is often misdiagnosed or underdiagnosed, with a lack of clinical research and recognition of the condition among many doctors.
More research is needed into CIRS and the ways in which our personal environments can affect our health.
At PIM we have a particular interest in the role of inflammation in chronic and complex diseases. We provide a range of testing including markers for mould-related illness. Contact us to learn more.